Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Qualifications and judgements...ahhh the workin' world

I've been on the job hunt for a few months now, and I'm pretty sure I have applied to every single open position for an administrative roll between Central NJ and the Jersey Shore. Finally, last Thursday I got a promising call, then Friday I had one of the best interviews I've ever had. My weekend was full of hope and some major stress subsided, but I was a touch nervous about the second interview on Monday.
Monday came, the interview went really well, I thought I had this job in the BAG! Later that day I got a call about a 3rd interview on Tuesday, I actually wasn't nervous for this one.
Upon leaving the building after meeting with the 3rd person in this company I was told that I may not be a "great fit" for the position. Not going to lie, I was super devastated, I had to go back to square one and start ALL over again with no prospects, and only 4 weeks left on unemployment. Stress City. :(

I wonder why they made me jump through so many hoops, or why after two fabulous interviews where I was all but offered the position did the third person think that I wasn't a great fit. I'm not going to sugar coat it, I'm bitter and super frustrated. I was made to feel under qualified for a position that I was OVER qualified for.
Here's my hurdle that I've been trying to overcome- on paper, my qualifications are mediocre and sort of all over the place; in person I am more qualified for these positions that I've been tirelessly applying to.
I work hard. I learn quickly. I am eager to please people I work for and with. I have experience.
Alas, I am judged by that piece of paper and the fact that I was laid off almost 2 years ago.

Our country is in a very bad position in the working world- prices are going up, salaries are going down, people are desperate for work and doing anything they can to get by. Its fricken scary out there folks. I can't make someone love me right off the bat, or if they love my personality I can't convince them in an hour that I am perfectly qualified and able to do the job that I am interviewing for.
I'm being judged, and getting nowhere.

How frustrating.
I'm now applying to jobs that I am far overqualified for, hoping that by some glimmer of hope someone will snatch me up and I can prove myself all over again. Starting off where I did almost 8 years ago when I started my very first job in an office setting. So I guess that's my plan B - work as many jobs as I can to get by.

Not as fair as we'd like it to be, but we do what we can to get by.
Its very true that you need an "in" to get anywhere in the working world these days.

Good luck out there, its mayhem!
Workin' on plan C

Tatum ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment