Monday, July 19, 2010

Life is all about how you handle Plan B

My plan B began June 2, 2010 when my position as the Administrative Assistant to the VP of sales was eliminated.
I drove home at 9 am on the Wednesday morning eyes full of tears and heart full of fear. What was I going to do now!? Since the age of 14 I've never not had a job (or 2), or at least had one on the way.
The carpet had been pulled from under my feet, and my future was completely unknown.

Now, I never aspired to be an administrative assistant, but a 31 year old girl with out a degree can not turn down a decent job. We all have bills to pay and mouths to feed.
I applied for unemployment an hour after I returned home and cried for about 2 weeks.

But the pity party has to end sometime, right??

I took a trip to Mass to visit my parents and spend some soul searching time in the one place that always welcomed me back...Home.
After a week of being taken care of, and much needed time with my best friends I returned back to my apartment on the Jersey Shore, refreshed, and ready to follow whatever path the universe was laying before me.

For years I've dreamed of heading back to school for my RN, but money and past loans hindered my dream, and forced me into the corporate life of unsatisfying job after job and a very beige life.
I'm not a beige girl! I'm vibrant, colorful, and full of life, so why in the world was I allowing this discomfort zone to take over??

I've been disappointed in how I let life and money control me, but how was I supposed to pay my bills, work full time, and go to school?
The universe heard my cries for change, and since I wouldn't force the change myself, it intervened and change happened.

Tuesday July 20, 2010 (tomorrow) I am attending an orientation that will tell me what kind of financial aid and grants I am allowed for school.
Weighing all my options, I am going to work towards enrolling in the fall semester for 2010.

I am accepting that I do not have all the answers today.
I am accepting that the past student loans, that I have been paying off for years, are about to rise up again..
I just can not accept a corporate job that leaves me feeling unfulfilled and bored with life.

An old roommate, and current mentor, of mine has a wall plaque that rings in my head:
"its never too late to change what you want to be when you grow up"

I'm 31 and going back to school.
I'm nervous and anxious....but I am putting Plan B into play, trusting myself and the universe to take me down the path to my dreams.
This blog will be about my journey, my trials, and most of all my successes.
I only wish my mom were alive to see how far I've already come.






1 comment:

  1. you go girl!!! you aren't sure of what exactly you will find along the road ahead, but i'm sure where ever you end up will be exactly where you need to be!!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete